1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone any experience with probiotics?

Discussion in 'Nutrition, food sensitivity, microbiome treatments' started by InitialConditions, Jul 17, 2019.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have recently started a course of Symprove. I have a three-month supply. I'm on day 6 and I have felt very washed out this week - the fatigue has been quite brutal and has been present throughout most days.

I need to stick with it because I have no firm evidence that I'm not just going through a 'crashy' period, and because I've paid decent money for the three-month supply.

Anyone like to share their experience of a course of probiotics, particularly stuff like Symprove?

DokaGirl and ladycatlover like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

maybe try reducing the doseage?
    article in the standard on Symprove here

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyl...tic-for-gut-health-does-it-work-a4126586.html

the writer attributes improvements to the probiotic but says

"I replaced my can a day [coke]with cups and cups of green tea, I started making healthier lunch choices, and I had more vegetarian evening meals."

I have done courses of probiotics in the past (usually Healthspan) whenever I have been prescribed antibiotics, as well as phases of Kefir and other similar foodstuffs. I have greek yoghourt fairly regularly.
    NB I'm a lacto-vegetarian.

3. Hopeful1976

Hopeful1976 Established Member

I had a very bad experience with symprove. Initially felt like you, then I improved after about 3 weeks, then I started getting scary neurological symptoms (depersonalisation/ intense anxiety ect) after about 3 months. We are all different, but I would never recommend this (it contains enteroccus bacteria which is known high in m.e. I'll try to find the studies and post). It was a very scary experience.

4. InitialConditions

oh no. sorry to hear this. do you think the neuro symptoms were from Symprove or could they be from other factors? this doesn't fill me with much hope!

ladycatlover and DokaGirl like this.
  5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@InitialConditions

Sorry to hear you're feeling worse. I don't know anything about Symprove. But, I have used other probiotics for many years.

Some alternative practitioners might say your symptom increase is from die off of the bad bacteria. I have read this, and been told that by a naturopathic doctor, who sold me a candida eliminating product.
    (I know we can't kill off all our candida, and have even read doing so would be very detrimental). However, I digress.

I have never felt worse from just straight forward probiotics. Years ago, I followed the advice of health food store clerks who told me I just need to take a probiotic till I'm over the yeast infection, or after antibiotics - so a temporary measure. I use them everyday now, as they help with GI problems and brain fog.

There are a number of types of probiotics around - even some from human sources, processed by reputable firms, and sold in
    regular health food stores.

Sorry I can't really add anything that might
    help. I hope you can sort out if it's the product bothering you. Best wishes.

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You shouldn't use the same probiotic continuously. They should be changed up every week or two between a few others and then keep rotating them.

ladycatlover and DokaGirl like this.
  7. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I started using a probiotic (Natures AID pro-30 MAX, 30 Billion Live Bacteria, Daily, Super Strength) in 2014 having contracted Sepsis in 2013 and having many oral and i/v antibiotics. This particular product was recommended by the manager of a local Nutrition Centre (been in town for 30 years). I explained my circumstances to them. Anybody should check with their GP/medical advisor first.

About 9 month’s ago I read that you are supposed to take a break from them, which panicked me a bit as I had been on them solidly (with no issues whatsoever). As I had a Biobank appt fixed I didn’t want to amend my medications prior to samples being taken, so waited until after the appt to have a break. Everything was fine in the first four weeks, but by week six I had thrush. Coincidence, quite possibly, but I had not suffered this at all in the previous 4 years. Treated the thrush, started back on the probiotics.

I now have a break of about 2 weeks every so often. Still no problems for me.

ladycatlover, TigerLilea and DokaGirl like this.
  8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@InitialConditions

I want to add, I don't know if the die off effect is really what is happening, or is even a true, or correct concept for sure. And, I was told this when feeling much worse from a candida elimination formula, not probiotics.

Sarah94 and ladycatlover like this.
  9. InitialConditions

This is the same as all that herx stuff everyone always puts a worsening of symptoms down to. probability is the person is just going through a rough patch!

ladycatlover, DokaGirl and TigerLilea like this.
  10. S-VV

S-VV Established Member

Probiotics took me from an 8 to a 4-5 activity scale. On the other hand, they have been very helpful to a lot of people.

I would suggest caution.

Sarah94, ladycatlover and DokaGirl like this.
  11. Hopeful1976

Hopeful1976 Established Member

Was defo from the symprove

Sarah94, DokaGirl and ladycatlover like this.
  12. Gdel

Gdel Established Member

Just reading this thread now and interested in learning from other user's experiences. My gastro just started me on Mutaflor for my IBS/SIBO and it seems to be helping me

13. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why?

14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you use the same probiotic supplement all of the time instead of rotating them every few weeks, it can cause an imbalance within your microbiome.