1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd February 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Antiretrovirals

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Hutan, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It may not be useful medically, but when I am in a crash and everything hurts, that's just what it feels like.

If you think of a time when you had an infected finger or toe, when it was bad, but just short of throbbing. That ache and the feeling that the skin is too tight, but happening all over the body, that is what it feels like to me.

2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It did nothing for me but paracetemol helped a bid. Levamisole helps the most and decreases the pain very quick.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Octogenarian and MEMarge like this.
  3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Yes, I know exactly the feeling you're describing. It seems we need some sort of better vocabulary to communicate these things. That throbbing, rushing, hot feeling. Usually with a headache and burning glands, and sometimes also a sore throat and sore mouth. That's what I feel when my health is at its worst. Whenever I've tried to describe this to a doctor, they heard what I'm saying as "fatigue". One well-meaning registrar said to me "Well, you say you can't get out of bed when its bad, so that sounds like fatigue to me".

In my case, when somebody actually bothered to look, I turned out to have all sorts of tell tale signs of inflammation: high CRP, high ESR, serum amyloid levels almost at danger level, high CD4 counts during flares and permanently elevated platelet counts. Now I know that doesn't mean its the same cause for everyone. My point is just that what "felt like" inflammation was inflammation.

@Hutan, just curious. When you feel "inflamed", do you feel there are certain "foci" for the sensations? I feel a burning sensation focused around my neck, chin and mouth, and another sensation, like a kind of pressure upon my lower rib cage.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yup. I get that inflammation has been hard to confirm but it's just way too much like it, just whole body, like the whole nervous system is in some heightened state of alarm. Maybe not typical inflammation or a closely related process but the similarities in how it's experienced are way too high.

Anyway isn't inflammation a series or process? So maybe not the whole shebang but some of it?

And I don't know how closely related it is, but the inability to move and the mental confusion is very similar to the outcome of blunt force. I don't know what's the official term for this, "getting the wind knocked out you" even though it has little to do with breathing. The kind of shock that happens after you fall hard or get tackled and need a moment to get back to normal, you can't really move, feel stunned and confused, in a state of near paralysis and you couldn't make any coherent sense if people asked you questions right away.

Tompkins' research seems to be centered on that, he noticed similarities between ME and major physical trauma, burns, etc. There's something going on while the body goes into a sort of secondary state, to prevent further damage or whatever.

I'm sure there's a relation there. Anyone who watches sports and has seen someone get that face while they are reeling from a hard hit or fall know that state and it's very similar to how it feels with PEM. For me anyway.