1. Guest, clicking here will take you to the 'News in Brief' post for w/c 2nd Dec.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Antibodies to Human Herpesviruses in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients (14 Aug 2019) Jonas Blomberg et al

Discussion in 'BioMedical ME/CFS Research' started by wigglethemouse, Aug 15, 2019.

1. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another look to see if the immune antibody signature to Human Herpes virus's in patients is different to controls.
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2019.01946/full

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    andypants, Lidia, Ravn and 7 others like this.
  2. Michiel Tack

Michiel Tack Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I understood correctly it's not about exposure to herpesviruses cause these are ubiquitous and IgG did not differ between patients and controls.

If these viruses do play a role in ME/CFS, as some EBV-studies suggest, it is probably because the immune system of some ME/CFS patients respond differently to herpesviruses.

The authors of this study think that the minor differences they have found in antibody reactivities in ME/CFS samples versus controls with whole virus HHV-1 antigens and recombinant EBV EBNA6 and EA antigens form an indication for this.

andypants, Annamaria, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  3. beverlyhills

beverlyhills Established Member (Voting Rights)

People that die from oncogenic viral brain tumors do not have any evidence of serological antibodies to their giant brain tumors that make them die.

HHV exists in lymphatics for transmission purposes at best. So do a biopsy of the lymph nodes or a lumbar puncture (you will not get very robust results) but for sure do not this.

4. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Drumroll please: presenting a paper that does not start with a version of "ME is a fatiguing condition":
    Can anybody explain what 'degree of reactivity' means?

Kitty, ProudActivist, Trish and 4 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:thumbup:

Kitty, Ravn, Amw66 and 1 other person like this.