1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: Anti-autoantibody drug helps with long COVID, 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by darrellpf, Jul 4, 2021.

1. darrellpf

darrellpf Established Member (Voting Rights)

Autoantibody helps with Long Covid
    The German article

https://www.fau.de/2021/07/news/medikament-gegen-autoantikoerper-hilft-bei-long-covid/

The paper is most interesting because of microcirculation, plus the use of BC 007, originally a heart related drug, as a treatment.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmed.2021.676554/abstract
    Abstract
    "Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) causing Corona Virus Disease-2019 (COVID-19), affects the pulmonary systems via angiotensin-converting enzyme-2 (ACE-2) receptor being an entry to systemic infection. As COVID-19 disease features ACE-2 deficiency, a link to microcirculation is proposed. OCT-angiography (OCT-A) enables non-invasive analysis of retinal microvasculature. Thus, an impaired systemic microcirculation might be mapped on retinal capillary system. As recent OCT-A studies, analyzing microcirculation in two subdivided layers, yielded contrary results, an increased subdivision of retinal microvasculature might offer an even more fine analysis. The aim of the study was to investigate retinal microcirculation by OCT-A after COVID-19 infection in three subdivided layers (I).

In addition, short-term retinal affections were monitored during COVID-19 disease (II). Considering (I), a prospective study (33 patientspost-COVID, 28 controls) was done. Macula and peripapillary vessel density (VD) were scanned with the Spectralis II. Macula VD was measured in three layers: superficial vascular plexus (SVP), intermediate capillary plexus (ICP), and deep capillary plexus (DCP). Analysis was done by the EA-Tool, including an Anatomical Positioning System and an analysis of peripapillary VD by implementing BMO landmarks. Overall, circular (c1, c2, c3) and sectorial VD (s1-s12) were analyzed. Considering (II), a retrospective study of 29 patients with severe complications of COVID-19 infection, hospitalized at the intensive care unit were monitored for retinal findings at bedside during hospitalization.

(I) Overall (p=0.0133) and circular (c1, p=0.00257; c2, p=0.0067; c3, p=0.0345) VD of ICP were significantly reduced between patientspost-COVID and controls, respectively. Overall (p=0.0179) and circular (c1, p=0.0189) peripapillary VD were significantly reduced between both groups. Subgroup analysis of hospitalized vs. non- hospitalized patientspost-COVID yielded a significantly reduced VD of adjacent layers (DCP, SVP) with increased severity of COVID-19 disease. Clinical severity parameters showed a negative correlation with VD (ICP) and peripapillary VD. (II) Funduscopy yielded retinal hemorrhages and cotton wool spots in 17% of patients during SARS-CoV-2 infection.

As VD of ICP and peripapillary region were significantly reduced after COVID-19 disease and showed a link to clinical severity markers, we assume that the severity of capillary impairment after COVID-19 infection is mapped on retinal microcirculation, visualized by non-invasive OCT-A."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2021
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

For those for whom an article in German is a bit of a barrier:
    The scientific paper tells only part of the story - the article suggests that a Long Covid treatment study is planned. The idea is that the drug fixes problems with blood flow caused by autoantibodies resulting from a Covid-19 infection.

3. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

same autoantibodies with glaucoma & long covid: against G-protein-coupled receptors.

how many with mecfs do have glaucoma ?

Yvonne, sebaaa, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  4. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like another scam.

Yvonne, sebaaa, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that they were talking about blood flow problems with the autoantibodies which where sorted by the drug. The connection would be blood flow damage in the eye causing glaucoma in people susceptible to it but blood flow problems elsewhere causing long covid

I am not very good at taking in complicated articles so I could be wrong.

I have always felt I had problems because of blood flow issues in my fingers and toes. Severe eye problems mean I am tested for glaucoma every year and the last few have been frustrating. As usual, I can't remember the actual numbers but it was something like under 15 being normal and over 22 glaucoma but I have a reading of 20 - 21. Typical ME

Perrier, Yvonne, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  6. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yvonne, Hutan, Michelle and 1 other person like this.
  7. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

with that g-coupled receptors, glaucoma and so on...

what about exenatide (aka byetta)

could that be of help in such a (autoantibody) case?

Yvonne and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m all about the glaucoma as a genetic risk factor at PITX2 to developing long EBV
    That’s where I get all my matches from

https://journals.lww.com/apjoo/Full...Direct_Interest_to_Complement_Pathway.16.aspx
    Eye Diseases Direct Interest to Complement Pathway and Macrophages as Regulators of Inflammation in COVID-19

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/long-covid-could-treated-experimental-24472144.amp
    Long Covid could be treated with experimental heart drug as patient 'cured' of symptoms
    https://berlincures.de/pipeline/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2021
    Yvonne, Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. wastwater

https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/105/16/6081.full.pdf?with-ds=yes
    Deletion of G protein-coupled receptor 48 leads to
    ocular anterior segment dysgenesis (ASD) through
    down-regulation of Pitx2

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18487371/
    GPR48 regulates epithelial cell proliferation and migration by activating EGFR during eyelid development

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/ppmc/articles/PMC4347243/
    Mutation of FOXC1 and PITX2induces cerebral small-vessel disease

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32045938/
    Axenfeld-Rieger Anomaly and Neuropsychiatric Problems-More than Meets the Eye

I don’t have lesions but may have a tendency towards something effecting small vessels

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Yvonne, sebaaa, SNT Gatchaman and 4 others like this.
  10. wastwater

11. Hutan

12. ola_cohn

ola_cohn Established Member (Voting Rights)

This team has published a case report of BC 007.

Case Report: Neutralization of Autoantibodies Targeting G-Protein-Coupled Receptors Improves Capillary Impairment and Fatigue Symptoms After COVID-19 Infection, 2021, Hohberger et al

Abstract
    Clinical features of Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) are caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2). Acute infection management is a substantial healthcare issue, and the development of long-Covid syndrome (LCS) is extremely challenging for patients and physicians. It is associated with a variety of characteristics as impaired capillary microcirculation, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), proinflammatory cytokines, and functional autoantibodies targeting G-protein-coupled receptors (GPCR-AAbs). Here, we present a case report of successful healing of LCS with BC 007 (Berlin Cures, Berlin, Germany), a DNA aptamer drug with a high affinity to GPCR-AAbs that neutralizes these AAbs. A patient with a documented history of glaucoma, recovered from mild COVID-19, but still suffered from CFS, loss of taste, and impaired capillary microcirculation in the macula and peripapillary region. He was positively tested for various targeting GPCR-AAbs. Within 48 h after a single BC 007 treatment, GPCR-AAbs were functionally inactivated and remained inactive during the observation period of 4 weeks. This observation was accompanied by constant improvement of the fatigue symptoms of the patient, taste, and retinal capillary microcirculation. Therefore, the removal of GPCR-AAb might ameliorate the characteristics of the LCD, such as capillary impairment, loss of taste, and CFS.

Open access full text
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmed.2021.754667/full

Yvonne, sebaaa, SNT Gatchaman and 6 others like this.
  13. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't read it all but this part gave me a chuckle:

Yvonne, Hutan, MSEsperanza and 3 others like this.
  14. Hutan

Yvonne, wastwater and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"WE NEED 800 000 €
    for a medical study at the University Hospital Erlangen with the drug BC007 of the company "Berlin Cures" for ME/CFS patients
    In mid-September 2021, the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) launched a study to research the drug BC 007 under the direction of Dr. Dr. med. Bettina Hohberger at the University Hospital Erlangen, but ONLY for patients affected by Long-Covid. Unfortunately, this means that ME/CFS patients who have been seriously ill for years and decades for a cure cannot be included in the study despite the large overlap between the two clinical pictures.

We want to change that! Miss Dr. Hohberger would also like to help those affected and set up a parallel study for ME/CFS.

For this we need 800,000 EUR
    THEREFORE this campaign!

It is a chance for ME/CFS sufferers not only to become publicly visible, but finally to take part in a drug study that could improve their living situation, possibly even lead to a cure!

Please help us to make this study possible for ME/CFS patients!"

https://wir-fordern-forschung.org/en/

Hutan, Yvonne and sebaaa like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

17. Lindberg

Lindberg Established Member (Voting Rights)