1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ankle bathing for improved vascular function

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Mij, Apr 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is ankle bathing? Is this similar to contrast bathing?

Comparison of the acute effects of ankle bathing versus moderate-intensity aerobic exercise on vascular function in young adults, 2022, Cho et al
    Abstract

We examined the efficacy of ankle bathing versus aerobic exercise to improve vascular function in young adults who were randomized to aerobic exercise (AE) (n = 13, 40%–60% of heart rate reserve), ankle bathing (AB) (n = 15, 43 °C), or a control condition (CON) (n = 14, ankle bathing, 36 °C) for 40 min. Conduit vessel function [brachial artery flow-mediated dilation (FMD)], carotid and femoral artery blood flow and shear rate (SR), and arterial stiffness [carotid-to-femoral pulse wave velocity (cf-PWV), augmentation index (AIx@75), β-stiffness index, and arterial compliance] were evaluated.

Compared with CON, AE and AB increased FMD at 30 min and 90 min (interaction: p < 0.05); AB decreased carotid artery blood flow and SR at 30 min, while both AE and AB increased femoral artery blood flow and SR at 30 min and 90 min (interaction: p < 0.05); AE and AB decreased cf-PWV and AIx@75 at 30 min and 90 min (interaction: p < 0.05); and AE improved both carotid and femoral β-stiffness index and arterial compliance, while AB reduced β-stiffness index and increased arterial compliance only in the femoral artery (interaction: p < 0.05). These findings suggest that ankle bathing may serve as an alternative strategy for enhancing vascular function.

Novelty:

We observed similar improvements in conduit vessel function, femoral artery blood flow and shear rate, and arterial stiffness following ankle bathing and acute aerobic exercise in young adults.

These findings have identified ankle bathing as a potential therapeutic strategy for enhancing vascular function, which may be particularly relevant for those with limited ability to engage in regular aerobic exercise.

https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/abs/10.1139/apnm-2021-0272?journalCode=apnm

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2022
    Yvonne and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not (necessarily) contrast bathing - a review here of a small number of immersion studies, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6479732/ ankle bathing would seem to fall in the group of 'extremity bathing'.

3. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read "extreme bathing" and I thought that it fits well with our disease :rofl:

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A response from one of the authors to my question:

"Thanks for this question. It is essential a heated foot spa using a foot bath with temperature control and only feet and ankles are submerged in the bath water".

I call this hydrotherapy. This was enjoyable after work when I worked for a Podiatrist.

Hutan, CRG, Yvonne and 4 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Sounds dodgy to me. Exposed warm ankles can lead to mixed dancing. :nailbiting:

TiredSam, rvallee, alktipping and 7 others like this.