1. See the 'News in Brief' from w/c 12th August, by clicking here, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on B12 and folate supplementation.

Discussion in 'Other: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; GcMAF' started by InitialConditions, Dec 14, 2018.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Once again on B12 / folate... :banghead:

When I browse the symptoms of B12 and/or folate deficiency I see things I have suffered with for years. Tinnitus, palpatations, tongue inflammation, etc. Now I know these overlap with ME symptoms, but I want to try supplementation and see if there is any effect.

Before visiting these forums I had no idea what a complex subject this was, and I am still not clesr what the best option is for me RE supplementation.

I have had serum folate and B12 tests in the past. The B12 was in the upper range, and folate towards the lower suggested range.

Last spring I had a month on high strength sublingual B12. I felt like it was perhaps one of the only times I'd felt some noticable change from supplementation. However, around that time some visual problems that had started up seemed to get worse - for example I got black floaters. I wasn't sure if this was related to the methycobalamin.

If I was try supplementation again, I am wondering: What are your experiences with B12 and folate supplementation? Has anyone had any problems or benefits taking the two together?

Thanks!

Note. I have not had any genetic testing to check for gene mutations etc.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am feeling better since I started injectable methylcobalamin. I also take methylfolate. IIRC, it is dangerous to take one without the other. I mean B12 and folate. They don't have to be those specific forms.

InitialConditions likes this.
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

High B12 has not been found to be harmful. As for your floaters i can't say if its related or coincidental. I take 1000mcg methylcobalamin daily. It gives a bit of energy and reversed my B12 deficiency.
    I found the only effect of folate is to reduce my headaches, a very good result. I use mehtylfolate because there are concerns that folic acid over the long term may cause harm, its not bioidentical to the folate from vegetables.

InitialConditions and oldtimer like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I' m tagging @JaimeS as i believe that she has had issues with B12.

My aunt cannot take B12 she has had a horrendous reaction on both occasions that she tried. I don' t know which version she took - methylated versions may be an issue for some people.

This is unusual as most of the literature suggests that this should not happen.

InitialConditions and JaimeS like this.
  5. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take a multi-B called Terry's Naturally Healthy Feet & Nerves.

My GP chided me, saying it was impossible that I felt better on it, since my B12 levels were normal, and scoffed when I said I felt better when they were on the high end of normal.

Less than a week later, my neurologist told me that a lot of his patients said the same, and that I should continue doing what I was doing.

I feel like it should be increased and decreased with activity. I 'need more' on days where I'm pushing physically or cognitively. I'm sure not everyone will feel the same.

My bad reaction was the result of perhaps a medical mishap. Dr DeMeirlier recommended a B12 injection at a much higher dose than one usually receives in the US. He also insisted it not have a particular kind of preservative, because ME patients have so many sensitivities.

My US doctor also scoffed (a new doc by this point!). She said no one gave B12 injections at such a strength. She said the preservative was in all US B12 injections. I shrugged and took the injection.

For 5-15 minutes I felt the bare edge of healthiness and it was a near-religious experience.

Then I began to feel something was going dreadfully wrong. I was driving home and began to wonder if I was going to make it. I started to shake. Honestly, it didn't feel like it was the preservative, a 'poisoning' or sensitivity response; it felt as though I had "burned through" the B12 at an intense rate and now it was gone. Metabolic cycles had revved and now they were being asked once again to come to a halt.

I had a phenomenal crash.

The doctor offered me more injections but I couldn't imagine feeling that awesome for five minutes only to have it yanked out from under me, and the crash was one of my worse ones.

Terry's Naturally is an absolute lifesaver, though. Helps with CNS, peripheral nervous system issues, and on and on. I don't get the same effect from other supplements. I think it might be the benfotiamine, which isn't in a lot of B complexes -- it's a "semi-B" that was once called B9.

All of this is my own personal experience and shouldn't be taken as medical advice. :)

InitialConditions, Amw66 and Alvin like this.