1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Distinct Microbiome Signature in Posttreatment Lyme Disease Patients, 2020, Morrissette et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://mbio.asm.org/content/11/5/e02310-20

2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an Aucott product. If memory serves me, isn't he an ex-Infectious-Disease-expert-turned-rheumatologist? Wonder what his emphasis might be.

"...there is no biological method to diagnose PTLDS..."
    Sure there is. There are several. At least three are FDA-approved: Conventional ELISA, Western Blot, and C6.

Ok, I'm going stop quoting with that, as it appeared so early on, and the implications to my typing are unsettling.

So, they are examining a downstream effect. Downstream from what? From abx? From cured Lyme and abx, the combination of the two creating a unique signature? From on-going Lyme? From ongoing Lyme combined with abx??

Did they have a control group of acute Lyme patients?

More importantly, by far, did they have a control group of late stage Lyme patients that have received no abx? One with ongoing late stage Lyme that have received abx?

If the answer is no to the last two questions, then the unique signature they may be finding could be from ongoing Lyme infection and abx, not from the PTLDS construct. Until they sort out that rudimentary qualifier, this sort of endeavor in my eyes will have "fallen stillborn from the press"

Edit to add: Thank you @Andy, for posting Lyme stuff, especially in light of the fact that I am usually doing my best to shred what you and others post This does not reflect on my appreciation for you going out of your way to post something that may have no relevance to ME.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    MarcNotMark, Hutan, Starlight and 6 others like this.