1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

‘I Live a Kind of Shadow Life’: Individual Experiences of COVID-19 Recovery and the Impact on Physical Activity Levels, 2021, Shelley et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Understanding of strategies to support individuals recovering from coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is limited. ‘Long COVID’ is a multisystem disease characterised by a range of respiratory, gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, neurological, and musculoskeletal symptoms extending beyond 12 weeks. The aim of this study was to explore individuals’ experiences of recovering from COVID-19 to provide a better understanding of the acute and long-term impact of the disease on physical activity (PA). Individualised semi-structured interviews were conducted with 48 adults recovering from COVID-19 at 6–11 months post-infection. An inductive thematic analysis approach was used, reaching saturation at 14 interviews (10 female; 47 ± 7 years). Four overarching themes were identified: (i) Living with COVID-19, including managing activities of daily living; (ii) Dealing with the Unknown and self-management strategies; (iii) Re-introducing physical activity; and (iv) Challenges of returning to work. The return to PA, whether through activities of daily living, work or exercise, is often associated with the exacerbation of symptoms, presenting a range of challenges for individuals recovering from COVID-19. Individually tailored support is therefore required to address the unique challenges posed by COVID-19.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/18/21/11417/htm

Simbindi, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This was obviously written without knowledge of the draft NICE guideline and before publication of the final guideline.

"The range of neurological, musculoskeletal, cardiac, and respiratory symptoms experienced by individuals recovering from COVID-19 may impair their ability to be active, and an understanding of the role of exercise and physical activity (PA) in rehabilitation post-COVID-19 remains limited. Whilst many individuals recovering from COVID-19 report similar symptoms to those experienced by individuals with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFC), it cannot be assumed that recommendations for graded-exercise therapy, which are appropriate for those with ME/CFC, will also be appropriate for individuals recovering from COVID-19 [8]. Indeed, the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) recently highlighted a need for research to enhance understanding of the recovery from COVID-19 by listening to the lived experiences of sufferers, which focuses not only on exercise capacity but also PA"

Solstice, Sean, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I did a double-take when reading that.

FMMM1 likes this.